Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Women Food and God

Yesterday turned out to be a beautiful day full of sunshine.  I spent most of it lazing around and as I was just about the head out to the gym, the phone rang, it was my husband: "Ummmmm yeah, about you going to the gym, I have your car keys.......so you can't"  Oh well!  I guess that changes the plan.  So no workout!

My food intake was really good though.  It was a wonderful low cal food day.  I usually don't make anything good for myself if the husband is not home but last night I made the most delicious open-faced sandwich.   I grilled chicken in a curry paste and then cut it up into little pieces.  Toasted some thin flax bread.  Then put avocado and humus on the toast, followed by the chicken.  Then I added grilled red pepper and onion and topped it off with a little goat cheese.  Put it under the broiled till the cheese melted and OMG it was delicious!  Sooooo yummy.  I enjoyed every morsel.  I wish I had taken a picture.

Speaking of food, yesterday I was watching Oprah, which I don't usually do but Geneen Roth author of Women Food and God was on the show.  I had to watch.  Have you read this book? http://www.amazon.ca/Women-Food-God-Unexpected-Everything/dp/1416543074 If you haven't I highly suggest it.  She talks in great length about how to repair your relationship with food.  She talks about how we are so worried about dealing with the emotions that we are feeling that we hide them in food.  I have to admit I've done that since I was a teenager.  Reading this book changed the way I eat forever.  I am certain of that.   I really think in order for there to be true change in your life, you have to be willing to deal with your life.  I for a long time didn't talk about the hurt I went through as a teenager.  Our difficult family situation, with my brother living with other family members because he was too much for my Mom to handle.  The way I dealt with it was to turn to boys, I needed attention and I got it.  Although not the attention I needed or wanted.  It took me a long time to realize that, the hurt I experienced then was over, that I was allowed to go on and be happy. That I was never going to be in that position again, so it was ok to let go of that fear and move forward.  I have struggled for almost 1/2 my life now with my weight.  14 years is a lot to give up.  I  will not live a passive life for the next 14 years to come.  This book is like being given the key that opens a door that has been locked for so long.  I feel like I have been banging on this door for ages, on the cusp of knowing what to do but never being able to open the door.  With this book, I open the door and began the work needed to walk through it.  On the other side of that door way, I am so happy with my life and the blessings that have bestowed upon me.  I need to keep walking now further and further away from this door.  But I know this time that I will success for I am not trying, I am doing.

Cheers!

Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment