Saturday, August 21, 2010

So yesterday turned into a day of rest for me.  This typically happens on Friday and I am totally ok with that.  My husband and I are endeavoring to start a major construction project so we spent quite a few hours at the supply store last night gathering the things we need to get started today.  I can honestly say I am not sure we will hit the gym today.  I do know that we will spend hours working on the renovation and that I will squeeze in some yoga at the very least in my living room tonight. 

In other news, I have been reading labels lately, a lot.  Can I just say there is tones of sodium in the weirdest things.  Yesterday, I go to make lunch and start looking through my very bare cupboards (I need to get groceries) and decide that we'll have some beans.  Not a great choice but it's in the cupboard.  Well I get it going on the stove and look at the can. and OMG it has 45% of your daily sodium needs in one serving.  The beans are sweet so I expected sugar not salt.  But then, as I was standing there I had a flash back to Jamie Oliver's Eat to Save Your Life (here's the You Tube video of it) .  At one point during the special he is cooking a spaghetti sauce and he demonstrates how easy it is to hide salt within the sauce.  It just drove home the point that I really need to pay more attention to what I am eating.  Sodium for me is huge, it makes me bloat up and nobody wants to be bloated.  So that was the last pack of pre-made beans I'll be eating and thankfully it was the last can in the cupboard.

Are you surprised by what you find on nutritional label sometimes?

Have a fabulous Saturday!
Cheers!
Leah

1 comment:

  1. Salt is one of the sneakiest culprits that can derail your success. I started paying attention to it a few weeks ago and I have been FLOORED by how much salt is found in some processed foods.
    I think your renovation project sounds like it will keep you busy and burning calories even if you don't make it to the gym!
    Have a good one!
    Rae
    xo

    ReplyDelete