Thursday, January 6, 2011

Grief and Food

I didn't want to be a 'debbie downer' on the first day back but still feel I should share this detail with you all and maybe get some advice along the way.  As the holiday season started, my very first principal suddenly passed away.  I am truly heartbroken over the loss of such a great man.  Today, I was given permission to go to my old school for a memorial that was being held.  It was great comfort to be there with my friends and celebrate such a great life.  However, as I grieve this loss, I am finding that the healthy things that normally relieve my stress, such as exercising are not helping.  I find myself reaching for food more frequently then I was before.  Anyone, have tips for kicking this comfort food habit to the curb?  I know as time passes I will get back to 'normal' and hopefully with the memorial being done now,  I can begin to have some closure.  

Leah

3 comments:

  1. Geneen Roth says that everytime you want to reach for food, sit down and allow yourself to feel what you are feeling. I do this and it works sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that...

    My advice: Grieve. There's no way around it. And allow yourself to do something that is good for you - get your nails done or soak in the bath tub...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice ladies! Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete